Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Long Few Days

This week has been a blur and not a good blur. We went to Waycross this past weekend to visit my family and Elleri wasn't in the best of moods most of the time. I attributed it to being off schedule and out of her comfort zone. The visit itself was nice but Elleri's mood was a little draining. Sunday she woke up with a runny nose and had a low grade fever so then I thought ok it must be a cold or possibly teething. Monday was about the same and minor moodiness elevated to complete whining and irritable. I decided to take her to the dr only because she had become lethargic and just not herself. Even it were just a cold, I wanted to ask Dr Harbaugh to look at a bump on her leg that had gotten what I thought to be infection. It started out as a small bump and in 24 hours had become this gross, puss filled "thing".

The dr visit was going well and seemed to be pretty unevenful until Dr Harbaugh looked at Elleri's bump. Before I knew it, he was calling a nurse in to get a coulture from the bump which required squeezing firmly to get "stuff" out. It was so painful. He and the nurse were holding her down and Elleri was screaming & crying uncontrollably. I then got upset watching her go through pain. After that we had to go to the lab to get her white blood cell count which required a finger prick. Back to the dr's room to find out it was too high so now she is being treated for STAPH. What? Then came in two other nurses to draw blood - this is done like an adult. Again, they held her down and tears started to flow from us both. Last but not least she had to have antibiotics injected into her legs. She and I both were emotionally & physcially drained after this scary, upsetting and long 2.5 hour visit.

I don't see how mothers handle seeing their kids in the hospital. Those few hours for me were brutal. Today we had some good news. She responded well to the antibiotics and was almost 99% normal again. Looks like we caught it early and Elleri is great! Thank you Dr Harbaugh.

No comments: